Tea Tree oil is derived from the distillation of tea tree leaves (which already grows all over the world but is native to Australia). It also has anti-microbial properties and can be used to clean if mixed with water.
How to make your own tea tree essential oil
- 1.- Get tea tree leaves: This can be difficult depending on the region we live in.
-For those people who live in areas with cold climates, it can be very expensive to find leaves of this plant. In the event that it is impossible to find them, it may be better to buy a bottle of ready-made tea tree essential oil.
- 2.- Buy or obtain a small distillation set: It can be purchased at Amazon.com (here is a link Distillation kit for essential oils) or if it cannot be borrowed from a chemistry lab. The best options are glass sets and stainless steel sets (although the latter can be expensive).
- 3.- Assemble the distillation kit and get gloves and safety glasses: Make sure that the surface where the kit is mounted is flat and that it is not within the reach of children.
- 4.- Pour water into the kit container that is used to boil fluids and reconnect it to the distillation set:The container must be between 30% and 75% full during the entire process.
- 5.- Add stones to boil the water: You can buy non-Teflon stones for boiling on the internet. This helps to keep the water from shooting through the distillation set while it is boiling.
- 6.- Deposit as many leaves as possible in the upper container of the distillation kit: It is important that we do not cut the leaves as we would be causing a loss of oil. The leaves should be quite packed together but leaving enough space for the steam to pass through, over time you will figure out the optimal number of leaves for your distillation kit.
- 7.- Begin to allow the water to pass little by little to the condenser: This will allow the oil to reach the tube.
- 8.- Turn on the hot plate to start the steam distillation process
- 9.- Allow the hot plate and water to flow through the sheets: They will start to get smaller in the container.
- 10.- Leave the hot plate on for 30 minutes - 3 hours: Most of the oil should have passed into the other container in the first 30 minutes. Turn off the plate when we have finished the distillation process.
- 11. Separate the water from the oil in the container where the essential oil is trapped: They should easily separate.
- 12.- Pour the essential tea tree oil into a dark tinted dropper bottle.